Tuesday, March 8, 2011

My Lent Challenge

I don't follow many religious traditions, but in this season of my life I feel called to observe the season of Lent. Lent is about 40 days long, from ash Wednesday (tomorrow) leading all the way to Easter. It represents the time that Jesus spent in the desert tempted by satan. It is a time of preparation - through prayer and self denial - leading up to the Easter celebration, where Jesus died for our sins and rose on the third day.
 I know that God has been leading me to a closer walk with Him. I also feel that I need to prepare my heart.

There are many things that I could choose to give up and sustain from. I'm sure that there are loads of things that I should sustain from. But due to my nature, I'm not going to attempt something that will be so hard that I loose focus of my original task. I don't want to make it so easy that I also loose focus of my goals. I also don't want to make this a diet, although I am giving up a type a food.

I choose to sustain from fast food and any variation of it during my 40 (46 some odd days) until the lent season is over. This includes my visits to sonic during happy hour for my route 44 diet coke w/vanilla. Ouch. That's going to be a bit painful.

God is opening my eyes to the things of our Babylonian culture. (I've been taking the Daniel Bible study with Beth Moore, I may get into more details later, but let me tell you:  It is an eye opener!) Anyhow, back to my commitment. I am choosing to abstain from fast food for many reasons. Don't misunderstand me, it's not something that I indulge in everyday. However it is a thorn in my flesh, especially the unhealthy choices I make. I feel that it will be enough of a temptation that it will try and hinder me in this slightly-longer-than-a-month long test. The idea is to pray whenever I feel tempted. I know that this will lead me to a closer relationship with my Lord and Savior. Right now I desire and hunger to know Him. To be in His word daily and digest the wisdom he pours out to my soul. I cannot begin to tell you what all He has done for me recently, but I pray that one day He will give me the words to voice my story. A story that gives Him all of the glory.
The reason I am blogging this is because I want to be completely honest and I need accountability. So check in on me if you feel led to. And I'll make sure to update you at least a few times a week on my struggles, prayers and how the whole challenge is going. If I accomplish this task (All things are possible with God Matt. 19:26) I can't claim that it's because I was strong enough to hold out (because eating has always been one of my biggest downfalls), but I give all the glory to God in advance. Only through Him all things are possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment