Friday, September 10, 2010

Day 25

He is: Not Exclusive

In Acts 11:1-18 Peter is being criticized by his fellow believers for associating with those who were considered unclean. Peter then tells them the whole story. God had told him to go with the men who had been sent for him. When they arrived at the man's house who had called for him, the man told him an angel had appeared to him and told him to send for Peter. After the Holy Spirit came upon them Peter said "If God gave them the same gift (the Holy Spirit) he gave us who believed in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I to think that I could stand in God's way?" When the believers heard this they didn't question him any longer and began to praise God.

We tend to have expectations as to what a Christian should look like. But God is not exclusive. Honestly, I have no grounds to judge other people. In God's eyes, all sins are equal and separate us from him. (James 2:10 says "For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it") The only way to our heavenly father is not by way of action or appearance, but only by accepting what Jesus did for us on the cross. There was only one person on this earth who was pure and blameless and worthy of judging others.

It reminds me of a story in John 8 where the people had been anxious to judge a women caught in the act of sin. I'm sure you've heard of this one. Jesus said "let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her."

What a huge burden lifted off my shoulders! If I could cut out the judging (and comparing) that I do in my day, it would clear up so much needed space in my brain for other things, like love, joy, peace.... Is this making sense to anyone besides myself?

Who am I to stand in God's way?

1 comment:

  1. absolutely agree! I love the new song "If I was Jesus"! The ones Jesus would get stern w/were the judging legalistic Pharasees and the money changers in the temple.
    MOM<><

    ReplyDelete