Thursday, November 24, 2011

"I'm thankful for.." Day 24

Happy Thanksgiving!! wow, I cannot believe this has come so quickly. Well... Maybe I can. If growing up makes time move faster, then I feel like I am moving a warp speed (seems like ludicrous speed sometimes). On the topic of Thanksgiving, mine was bittersweet. My parents were out of town and so this year we spent a little more time at the in-laws. It was wonderful not to be rushed, but I felt a little pang not being able to see my parents. This morning we got up early to head downtown to watch the HEB Thanksgiving Day parade! It was a brand new experience for all of us. I don't know who had more fun, me or the kids. Either way, it's definitely already on the calendar for next year.

Moving on to what I am Thankful for. (Besides the above)
I'm not sure how to express this, but I'll certainly try. And hopefully someone can identify with me on this. As tradition our local Christian radio station begins playing Christmas music on Thanksgiving. It's great for me because I LOVE Christmas music. I like modern songs, but I can't get enough of the traditional ones. For the last few years Christmas music has made me very emotional. I couldn't begin to tell you why, until now. I would just get all tight chested and watery eyed. Even going as far as bawling to some songs. I am not sad by any means, in fact, I think the opposite is true. I am extremely joyful. I still couldn't tell you exactly why.

The thought hit me tonight as I teared up to the first traditional song I heard. I am pretty sure it was "Noel".
Our family is getting pretty excited. And it's not about the holidays. You see, my dear sister in law is expecting her second child very,very soon. As it gets closer, the excitement builds and builds until you get that call that baby girl is on her way. I think everyone can relate to this. Most people have experienced a birth at some point.(other than their own of course). There is just something so exciting and wonderful about a precious new life being brought into this world. It's pure joy! So think for a minute of when you've experienced this for yourself.... Do you feel that excitement yet?

I cannot possibly begin to imagine the excitement and the joy that the whole heavens experienced waiting for the birth of Jesus. And I'm not just talking about the people in heaven or he angels, ALL of creation was waiting for this moment. The very stars in the sky waited in anticipation. They knew this little baby Jesus was the Savior of mankind.
So the tension is building, I imagine during the birth you could pierce the silence as all of creation held it's breath during this beautiful moment. Then suddenly... utter rejoicing, proclamations of peace on earth, thunderous applause, the angels singing hallelujah! Glory to the newborn King!

WOW, what a moment! That my friends is why I tear up listening to these songs. I can almost imagine the noise it must have made. "Joy to the world, the Lord has come!" "Do you hear what I hear?" "Noel, Noel born is the king of Israel" "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing" "O Holy Night"
You get the idea. I hope. (by the way, I am tearing up now)

I enjoy other Christmas songs as well about Santa and sleigh bells and Frosty the snowman. But my dear, dear friends... If that satisfies your heart for Christmas... You are missing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment